Military to Civilian Budget Checklist
When nearing Military Retirement, consider some of these items for a smooth and successful transition. You also need to consider costs for items like rent or a home mortgage payment.
- Create an estimated “civilian” budget.
- If needed, start saving funds to bridge any gaps that may occur during your job hunt.
- Research and determine your last PCS (check out www.usaa.com/BestPlaces for a few ideas).
- Determine the cost benefit of buying versus renting a home post-retirement.
- Evaluate your needs for life insurance.
- Research alternatives for a commercial life insurance plan and how to replace SGLI so there’s no gap in coverage.
- Consider signing up for the Survivors Benefit Plan (SBP) as you exit the military.